Food and Judaism
Food and Judaism / editors, Leonard J. Greenspoon, Ronald A.Simkins, Gerald Shapiro.
Omaha, NE : Creighton University Press ; Lincoln, NE : Distributed by the University of Nebraska Press, c2005.
xvi, 345 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Other contributors
Greenspoon, Leonard J. (Leonard Jay)
Shapiro, Gerald, 1950-
Creighton University. Center for the Study of Religion andSociety.
University of Nebraska--Lincoln. Harris Center for Judaic Studies
Philip M. and Ethel Klutznick Chair in Jewish Civilization. Symposium (15th : 2002 : Creighton University)
- Cover title
Food & Judaism
Studies in Jewish civilization ; v. 15
"Proceedings of the fifteenth annual Symposium of the KlutznickChair in Jewish Civilization, Harris Center for Judaic Studies, October27-28, 2002"
"The Klutznick Chair in Jewish Civilization, The Harris Centerfor Judaic Studies, The Center for the Study of Religion andSociety"--Half t.p.
Includes bibliographical references.
- A social history of Jewish food in America / Joan Nathan
- Smoked salmon sushi and sturgeon stomachs : the Russian Jewish foodscapesof New York / Eve Jochnowitz
- The art of Jewish food / Ori Z. Soltes
- Exploring southern Jewish foodways / Marci Cohen Ferris
- The vegetarianalternative : biblical adumbrations, modern reverberations / S. DanielBreslauer
- In memory's kitchen : reflections on a recently discoveredform of Holocaust literature / Cara De Silva
- Does God care what we eat?Jewish theologies of food and reverence for life / Jonathan D.Brumberg-Kraus
- Nebraska Jewish charitable cookbooks, 1901-2002 / OliverB. Pollak
- Public and private in the kitchen : eating Jewish in theSoviet State / Alice Stone Nakhimovsky
- Kashrut : the possibility andlimits of women's domestic power / Ruth Ann Abusch-Magder
- Holy kugel :the sanctification of Ashkenazic ethnic foods in Hasidism / Allan Nadler
- "As the Jews like to eat garlick" : garlic in Christian-Jewishpolemical discourse in early modern Germany / Maria Diemling
- Separatingthe dishes : the history of a Jewish eating practice / David Kraemer
- The blessing in the belly : mystical satiation in medieval Kabbalah / JoelHecker
- Food of the book or food of Israel? Israelite and Jewish foodlaws in the Muslim exegesis of Quran 3:93 / Brannon Wheeler
- Meals asMidrash : a survey of ancient meals in Jewish studies scholarship /Jonathan D. Brumberg-Kraus
- The vegetarian ideal in the Bible / Gary A.Rendsburg
- Food fight : the Americanization of kashrut intwentieth-century America / Jenna Weissman Joselit.
- Subject headings
Jews--Social life and customs.