Wine to water : a bartender's quest to bring clean water to the world
- Hendley, Doc.
- Wine to water : a bartender's quest to bring clean water to the world / Doc Hendley.
- New York : Avery, c2012.
- 288 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (chiefly col.), map ; 22 cm.
- Includes index.
- "The captivating story of an ordinary bartender who's changing the world through clean water. Doc Hendley never set out to be a hero. In 2004, Hendley-a small- town bartender- launched a series of wine-tasting events to raise funds for clean-water projects and to bring awareness to the world's freshwater crisis. He planned to donate the proceeds through traditional channels, but instead found himself traveling to one of the world's most dangerous hot spots: Darfur, Sudan. There, Doc witnessed a government-sponsored genocide where the number-one weapon wasn't bullets-it was water. The Janjaweed terrorists had figured out that shooting up a bladder containing 10,000 liters of water, or dumping rotting corpses into a primary water source is remarkably efficient for the purposes of mass extermination. With limited funds, Doc realized that he couldn't build new wells costing $10,000 a pop, but he could hire local workers to restore a damaged well for a mere $50 each. He'd found his mission. Today, Doc and Wine to Water continue to help stricken peoples repair and maintain water- containment systems in places like Darfur, Cambodia, Uganda, and Haiti. Doc is a regular, rough-and-tumble guy who loves booze, music, and his Harley- but he also wanted to help. Wine to Water is a gripping story about braving tribal warfare and natural disasters and encountering fascinating characters in far-flung regions of the world. It is also an authoritative account of a global crisis and an inspirational tale that proves how ordinary people can improve the world."-- Provided by publisher. "A memoir by Doc Hendley, a bartender turned renegade savior, who has supplied clean drinking water to over 30,000 people by rebuilding wells in war-torn and impoverished areas, including Sudan, Northern Uganda, Ethiopia, Cambodia, India, Perus, and most recently, Haiti. Hendley reflects on his experiences--many of which are extremely harrowing--and sounds a call to action"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject headings
- Hendley, Doc--Travel--Developing countries. Drinking water--Developing countries--Citizen participation. Well water--Developing countries--Citizen participation.
- 9781583334621 (trade) 1583334629 (trade)