Nursing theorists and their work
Nursing theorists and their work / [edited by] Martha Raile Alligood, Ann Marriner Tomey.
Maryland Heights, Mo. : Mosby/Elsevier, c2010.
xviii, 797 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Other contributors
Alligood, Martha Raile.
Marriner-Tomey, Ann, 1943-
Includes bibliographical references and index.
IUPUI School of Nursing faculty publication.
- Unit 1 Evolution of nursing theories : Introduction to nursing theory : its history, significance, and analysis / Martha Raile Alligood
- History and philosophy of science / Sonya R. Hardin, Sue Marquis Bishop
- Logical reasoning / Sonya R. Hardin, Sue Marquis Bishop
- Theory development process / Sonya R. Hardin, Sue Marquis Bishop
- Nursing theorists of historical significance ; Hildegard E. Peplau ; Virginia Henderson ; Faye Glenn Abdellah ; Ernestine Wiedenbach ; Lydia Hall ; Joyce Travelbee ; Kathryn E. Barnard ; Evelyn Adam ; Nancy Roper, Winifred W. Logan and Alison J. Tierney ; Ida Jean (Orlando) Pelletier / Marie E. Pokorny.
- Unit 2 Philosophies : Florence Nightingale : modern nursing / Susan A. Pfettscher
- Jean Watson : Watson's philosophy and theory of transpersonal caring / D. Elizabeth Jesse
- Marilyn Anne Ray : theory of bureaucratic caring / Sherrilyn Coffman
- Patricia Benner : caring, clinical wisdom, and ethics in nursing practice / Karen A. Brykczynski
- Kari Martinsen : philosophy of caring / Herdis Alvsvåg
- Katie Eriksson : theory of caritative caring / Unni Å. Lindström, Lisbet Lindholm, Joan E. Zetterlund.
- Unit 3 Nursing models : Myra Estrin Levine : the conservation model / Karen Moore Schaefer
- Martha E. Rogers : unitary human beings / Mary E. Gunther
- Dorothea E. Orem : self-care deficit theory of nursing / Violeta A. Berbiglia, Barbara Banfield
- Imogene King : conceptual system and middle range theory of goal attainment / Christina L. Sieloff, Patricia R. Messmer
- Betty Neuman : systems model / Barbara T. Freese, Theresa G. Lawson
- Sister Callista Roy : adaptation model / Kenneth D. Phillips
- Dorothy E. Johnson : behavioral system model / Bonnie Holaday.
- Unit 4 Nursing theories : Anne Boykin and Savina O. Schoenhofer : the theory of nursing as caring : a model for transforming practice / Marguerite J. Purnell
- Afaf Ibrahim Meleis : transition theory / Eun-Ok Im
- Nola J. Pender : health promotion model / Teresa J. Sakraida
- Madeleine Leininger : cultural care theory of diversity and universality / Marilyn McFarland
- Margaret A. Newman : health as expanding consciousness / Janet Witucki Brown
- Rosemarie Rizzo Parse : human becoming / Gail J. Mitchell, Debra A. Bournes
- Helen C. Erickson, Evelyn M. Tomlin, Mary Ann P. Swain : modeling and role-modeling / Margaret E. Erickson
- Gladys L. Husted and James H. Husted : symphonological bioethical theory / Carrie Scotto.
Future of nursing theory : State of the art and science of nursing theory / Martha Raile Alligood.
- Unit 5 Middle range theories : Ramona T. Mercer : maternal role attainment
- becoming a mother / Molly Meighan
- Merle H. Mishel : uncertainty in illness theory / Donald E. Bailey, Jr., Janet L. Stewart
- Pamela G. Reed : self-transcendence theory / Doris D. Coward
- Carolyn L. Wiener and Marylin J. Dodd : theory of illness trajectory / Janice Penrod, Lisa Kitko, Chin-Fang Liu
- Georgene Gaskill Eakes, Mary Lermann Burke, and Margaret A. Hainsworth : theory of chronic sorrow / Ann M. Schrier, Nellie S. Droes
- Phil Barker : the tidal model of mental health recovery / Nancy Brookes
- Katherine Kolcaba : theory of comfort / Thérèse Dowd
- Cheryl Tatano Beck : postpartum depression theory / M. Katherine Maeve
- Kristen M. Swanson : theory of caring / Danuta M. Wojnar
- Cornelia M. Ruland and Shirley M. Moore : peaceful end of life theory / Patricia A. Higgins.
This resource in the field of nursing theory provides an in-depth look at 49 theorists of historical, international, and significant importance. Each chapter features a presentation of a key nursing philosophy or theory. Case studies and critical thinking activities help bridge the gap between theory and application. A case study at the end of each theorist chapter puts the theory into a larger perspective, explaining how the information can be applied to practice. A Major Concepts & Definitions box in each theorist chapter outlines and summarizes the theory's most significant ideas and clarifies content specific vocabulary. Each theorist chapter concludes with an extensive bibliography outlining numerous primary and secondary sources of information ideal for research projects. Critical Thinking Activities at the end of each theorist chapter assist in the processing of the theory presented and the application of it to personal and hypothetical practice situations. Introductory chapters a strong foundation in the history and philosophy of science, logical reasoning, and the theory development process. Diagrams for theories help in the visualization and better understanding of inherently abstract concepts. Each theorist chapter is written by a scholar specializing in that particular theorist's work, often an individual who has worked closely with the theorist. Most chapters have been reviewed and edited by the theorist for currency and accuracy, further validating the accounts set forth in the text. Theorist birth (and if applicable, death) dates help to place each individual into a time context.
- Subject headings
- Medical subjects
9780323056410 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0323056415 (pbk. : alk. paper)