Kids in the middle : the micropolitics of special education
Kids in the middle : the micropolitics of special education / edited by Marshall Strax, Carol Strax, and Bruce S. Cooper.
Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, ©2012.
xv, 232 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
<Cover image> http://covers.rowmanlittlefield.com/L/16/070/1607098466.jpg
- Other contributors
Cooper, Bruce S.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents note
- Borderline: The Political Divide in Special Education / Marshall Strax, College of Saint Elizabeth
- Schooling Tommy in the Past: A Personal Perspective / Thomas E. Strax, UMDNJ-RWJ Medical School, Lisa Luciano, UMDNJ-RWJ Medical School, Anna Dunn, UMDNJ-RWJ Medical School
- Free At Last? Legislation for Children with Disabilities / Allan Osborne, Retired Principal, Snug Harbor Community School and Charles Russo, University of Dayton
- The Limits of Freedom: Legislation and Litigation in Special Education / Charles Russo, University of Dayton and Allan Osborne, Retired Principal, Snug Harbor Community School The Costs and Benefits of Special Education / Bruce S. Cooper, Fordham University
- Kid in the Middle: A Case Study of an Impartial Hearing / Carol Strax, Dominican College and Marshall Strax, College of Saint Elizabeth
- Common Confusions with Inclusion / David Connor, Hunter College
- Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pay: Services for Children with Severe and Chronic Disabilities / Arnold Danzig, Arizona State University
- Schooling Tommy in the Present / Catherine Hall Rikhye, Retired Director, Office of Inclusive Education
- Voices From the Field: Students Speak Out / Carol Strax, Dominican College
- Voices From the Field: Parents Speak Out / Carol Strax, Dominican College
- Voices From the Field: Education Professionals / Carol Strax, Dominican College
- Schooling Tommy in the Future: The Ideal / Marshall Strax, College of Saint Elizabeth.
"Children with disabilities, their parents, teachers, administrators, advocates, attorneys, and adult educators, all have a key role to play in the micro-politics of special education. The children - in the middle - are pivotal in the growing special education saga. This book brings together people with disabilities and others who advocate for their cause with expertise in special education law, administration, severe and profound disabilities, ethics, foundations, finance, teaching, disability rights, and culture. All these people work together to develop an awareness that beyond the administrative aspects of special education and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) are micro-political issues that affect how children with disabilities are educated."--Provided by publisher.
- Subject headings
Special education--Political aspects--United States.
Special education--Law and legislation--United States.
Children with disabilities--Education--United States.