The pedagogy of real talk : engaging, teaching, and connecting with students at risk
The pedagogy of real talk : engaging, teaching, and connecting with students at risk / Paul Hernandez ; foreword by David Osher.
Thousand Oaks, California : Corwin, a SAGE Company, 2016.
xv, 190 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 185-187) and index.
- 1. Introduction : Students at risk ; The researcher ; MSU HEP ; The pedagogy
- 2. Real talk : The theoretical foundations of Real Talk ; Refinement of the Pedagogy of Real Talk ; The Pedagogy of Real Talk and other approaches
- 3. The students, their experiences, and the academic results : Inception of the case study ; HEP student participants ; The results
- 4. Implementing Real Talk in the HEP program : Dialogue ; Relating to students ; Structure ; Clarity ; Redundancy ; Enthusiasm ; Appropriate pace ; Maximized engagement
- 5. Flexibility, adaptability, and effort : Flexibility ; Adaptability ; Effort ; 6. Terministic screens and Real Talk discussions : Terministic screens ; Real Talk
- 7. Dealing with the exceptions : The case of PB ; The case of Jessie ; The Case of LB ; The challenge to teachers
- 8. Implementing real talk in any classroom
- 9. The training of teachers : The basic components and foundations of the Pedagogy ; Connections through Real Talk ; Another Real Talk example ; Maintaining connections
- 10. Training: alternative lessons : Alternative lesson examples
- 11. Training and feedback
- 12. New beginnings
- Appendices : A. Real Talk on symbolism ; B. "Who I am" Real Talk on the first day of class ; C. Real Talk on adversity ; D. Real Talk on assumptions ; E. Real Talk on overcoming personal challenges with hard work and determination ; F. Real Talk on transforming frustration and anger into empowerment ; G. Real Talk on being authentic ; H. Real Talk on classroom norms ; I. Examples of Real Talk themes ; J. Bridge project packet ; K. Alternative lesson on congruent triangles ; L. Alternative lesson on federal courts and the Judicial Branch ; M. Alternative lesson on graphing different types of linear systems ; N. Alternative lesson on public speaking anxiety ; O. Alternative lesson topics and summaries ; P. Games.
- Subject headings
Underachievers--Education (Elementary)--United States.
Remedial teaching--United States.
- Indpls - IUPUI University Library
- Call Number
- LC 4801 .H476 2016
- 3rd Floor