Teach students how to learn : strategies you can incorporate into any course to improve student metacognition, study skills, and motivation
McGuire, Saundra Yancy, author.
Teach students how to learn : strategies you can incorporate into any course to improve student metacognition, study skills, and motivation / Saundra Yancy McGuire with Stephanie McGuire ; foreword by Thomas A. Angelo.
Sterling, Virginia : Stylus Publishing, LLC, 2015.
xx, 237 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Other contributors
McGuire, Stephanie, author.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword / Thomas A. Angelo
- Saundra's journey: from traditional instructor to academic transformer
- Why don't our students already know how to learn?
- Metacognition: what it is and how it helps students become independent learners
- The power of teaching Bloom's taxonomy and the study cycle to students
- Metacognitive learning strategies at work
- Mindset matters
- Connections between motivation, emotions, and learning
- What faculty can do to boost motivation, positive emotions, and learning
- What students can do to boost motivation, positive emotions, and learning
- Partnering with your campus learning center
- Teaching learning strategies to groups
- Teaching unprepared students
- Epilogue: Experiment and have fun!
- Appendixes : A. Compilation of strategies for students
- B. Books and web links recommended for students
- C. Compilation of strategies for instructors
- D. Resources for presenting learning strategies to groups
- E. Learning strategies inventory
- F. Dramatic individual student improvement
- G. Selected student feedback
- H. Slides from Chemistry presentation
- I. An advanced placement physics class.
This book is written primarily for faculty but will be equally useful for TAs, tutors, and learning center professionals. For readers with no background in education or cognitive psychology, the book avoids jargon and esoteric theory.
- Subject headings
Learning--Study and teaching.
Study skills--Study and teaching.
Motivation in education.
9781620363164 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
162036316X (pbk. ; alk. paper)
9781620363157 (cloth ; alk. paper)
1620363151 (cloth ; alk. paper)
9781620363171 (library networkable e-edition)
9781620363188 (consumer e-edition)