Why students resist learning : a practical model for understanding and helping students
Why students resist learning : a practical model for understanding and helping students / edited by Anton O. Tolman and Janine Kremling ; foreword by John Tagg.
Sterling, Virginia : Stylus Publishing, LLC, 2017.
xix, 247 pages ; 24 cm
- Other contributors
Tolman, Anton O., editor.
Kremling, Janine, 1977- editor.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface : What makes this book unique / Anton O. Tolman
- Defining and understanding student resistance / Anton O. Tolman, Andy Sechler, and Shea Smart
- Student voices : discovering resistance / Averie Hamilton, Andy Sechler, Colt Rothlisberger, Shea Smart, Anton O. Tolman, Matthew Andersen, Rob Blair, and Amy Lindstrom
- Obstacles, biases, and the urgent need to understand the social cost of resistance / Anton O. Tolman, Andy Sechler, and Shea Smart
- The impact of institutional culture on student disengagement and resistance to learning / Janine Kremling and Erikca DeAnn Brown
- Societal and environmental influences that shape student motivation / Christopher Lee and Amy Lindstrom
- Through the students' eyes : internalized forces that shape student motivation / Christopher Lee, Andy Sechler, and Shea Smart
- Negative classroom experiences / Janine Kremling, Colt Rothlisberger, and Shea Smart
- Seeing the invisible : how cognitive and developmental influences shape student resistance / Trevor Morris, Rob Blair, and Colt Rothlisberger
- How promoting student metacognition can reduce resistance / Rob Blair, Anton O. Tolman, Janine Kremling, and Trevor Morris
- Creating a campus climate to reduce resistance / Anton O. Tolman, Janine Kremling, and Ryan Radmall
- Epilogue : Final thoughts / Anton O. Tolman and Janine Kremling.
The purpose of this book is to help faculty develop a coherent and integrated understanding of the various causes of student resistance to learning, providing them with a rationale for responding constructively, and enabling them to create conditions conducive to implementing effective learning strategies. While of great value for faculty, this book is also useful to faculty developers advising future and current faculty, as well as to administrators, offering insight into how institutional values impact teaching practice and student attitudes.
- Subject headings
College student development programs.
Education, Higher--Psychological aspects.
Learning, Psychology of.
- Other subjects
Learning, Resistance to
9781620363430 (cloth ; alk. paper)
1620363437 (cloth ; alk. paper)
9781620363447 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
1620363445 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
9781620363454 (library networkable e-edition)
9781620363461 (consumer e-edition)