Trust and mistrust in the economies of the China-Russia borderlands
Trust and mistrust in the economies of the China-Russia borderlands / edited by Caroline Humphrey.
Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 
256 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Other contributors
Humphrey, Caroline, editor.
- Uniform series
Asian borderlands ; 6.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: trusting and mistrusting across borders / Caroline Humphrey
- Déjà vu of distrust in the Sino-Russian borderlands / Sayana Namsaraeva
- Economies of trust: informality and the state in the Russian-Chinese borderland / Tobias Holzlehner
- Can kinship come to the rescue? Trust and cooperation across the border between China and Mongolia / Nasan Bayar
- Betrayed by trust: inter-Korean relations across Northeast Asian borders / Hyun-Gwi Park
- The trade town of Manzhouli: trust created and undermined / Ivan Peshkov
- Différances of Doverie: (mis)trust and the old faith in the Russian Far East / Dominic Martin
- Trust, chance and disappointment: real estate business in Russia's Far East / Caroline Humphrey
- Searching for trust: indigenous people in the jade business / Tatiana Safonova, István Sántha, and Pavel Sulyandziga.
The first English-language book to focus on northeast Sino-Russian border economies, 'Trust and mistrust in the economies of the China-Russia borderlands' examines how trans-border economies function in practice. The authors offer an anthropological understanding of trust in juxtaposition to the economy and the state. They argue that the history of suspicion and the securitised character of the Sino-Russian border mean that trust is at a premium. The chapters show how diverse kinds of cross-border business manage to operate, often across great distances, despite widespread mistrust.
- Subject headings
China--Foreign economic relations--Russia (Federation)
Russia (Federation)--Foreign economic relations--China.