Successful academic writing : a complete guide for social and behavioral scientists
Singh, Anneliese A., author.
Successful academic writing : a complete guide for social and behavioral scientists / Anneliese A. Singh, Lauren Lukkarila.
New York : The Guilford Press, 
xii, 260 pages ; 24 cm
- Other contributors
Lukkarila, Lauren, author.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents note
- I. Becoming an Academic Writer
- 1. What Is Academic Writing?
- 2. Preparing for Writing Success in Your Discipline
- 3. Developing Your Own Writing Identity
- II. Developing Academic Writing Skills
- 4. Understanding Academic Writer-Reader Roles and Writing Structures
- 5. The Use of Tone and Style in Your Academic Writing
- 6. Coaching Yourself to Completion
- III. Specific Types of Academic Writing
- 7. Grounding Your Voice in the Literature
- 8. The Writing Formula for Empirical Academic Writing
- 9. Publish, Don't Perish
- Appendix. Answer Key
- About the Authors.
"Using rich examples and engaging pedagogical tools, this book equips students to master the challenges of academic writing in graduate school and beyond. The authors delve into nitty-gritty aspects of structure, style, and language, and offer a window onto the thought processes and strategies that strong writers rely on. Essential topics include how to: identify the audience for a particular piece of writing; craft a voice appropriate for a discipline-specific community of practice; compose the sections of a qualitative, quantitative, or mixed methods research article; select the right peer-reviewed journal for submitting an article; and navigate the publication process. Readers are also guided to build vital self-coaching skills in order to stay motivated and complete projects successfully. Pedagogical Features: *Exercises (with answers) analyzing a variety of texts. *Annotated excerpts from peer-reviewed journal articles. *Practice opportunities that help readers apply the ideas to their own writing projects. *Personal reflections and advice on common writing hurdles. *End-of-chapter Awareness and Action Reminders with clear steps to take"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject headings
Social science literature.