Historians on Hamilton : how a blockbuster musical is restaging America's past
Historians on Hamilton : how a blockbuster musical is restaging America's past / edited by Renee C. Romano and Claire Bond Potter.
New Brunswick : Rutgers University Press, 
399 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 22 cm
- Other contributors
Romano, Renee Christine, editor.
Potter, Claire Bond, 1958- editor.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: History Is Happening in Manhattan / Renee C. Romano and Claire Bond Potter
- Act I: The Script. From Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton to Hamilton: An American Musical / William Hogeland
- "Can We Get Back to Politics? Please": Hamilton's Missing Politics in Hamilton / Joanne B. Freeman
- Race-Conscious Casting and the Erasure of the Black Past in Hamilton / Lyra D. Monteiro
- The Greatest City in the World?: Slavery in New York in the Age of Hamilton / Leslie M. Harris
- "Remember... I'm Your Man": Masculinity, Marriage, and Gender in Hamilton / Catherine Allgor
- Act II: The Stage. "The Ten-Dollar Founding Father": Hamilton, Money, and Federal Power / Michael O'Malley
- Hamilton as Founders Chic: A Neo-Federalist, Antislavery Usable Past? / David Waldstreicher and Jeffrey L. Pasley
- Hamilton and the American Revolution on Stage and Screen / Andrew M. Shockett
- From The Black Crook to Hamilton: A Brief History of Hot Tickets on Broadway / Elizabeth L. Wollman
- Looking at Hamilton from Inside the Broadway Bubble / Brian Eugenio Herrera
- Act III: The Audience. Mind the Gap: Teaching Hamilton / Jim Cullen
- Reckoning with America's Racial Past, Present, and Future in Hamilton / Patricia Herrera
- Who Tells Your Story?: Hamilton as a People's History / Joseph M. Adelman
- Hamilton: A New American Civic Myth / Renee C. Romano
- "Safe in the Nation We've Made?": Staging Hamilton on Social Media / Claire Bond Potter.
Brings together a collection of top scholars to explain the Hamilton phenomenon and explore what it might mean for our understanding of America's history. The contributors examine what the musical got right, what it got wrong, and why it matters. These short and lively essays examine why Hamilton became an Obama-era sensation and consider its continued relevance in the age of Trump.
- Subject headings
Miranda, Lin-Manuel, 1980- Hamilton.
Hamilton, Alexander, 1757-1804.
- Genre heading
9780813590301 hardcover ; alkaline paper
0813590302 hardcover ; alkaline paper
9780813590295 paperback ; alkaline paper
0813590299 paperback ; alkaline paper
- Indpls - IUPUI University Library
- Call Number
- ML410.M67976 H57 2018
- Checked out Due: 11-06-2020