Latinx : the new force in American politics and culture
Morales, Ed, 1956- author.
Latinx : the new force in American politics and culture / by Ed Morales.
London ; Brooklyn, N.Y. : Verso, 2018.
358 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The Spanish triangle
- Mestizaje vs. the hypo-American dream
- The second conquista: mestizaje on the down -low
- Raza interrupted: new hybrid nationalism
- Border thinking 101: can la raza speak?
- Our raza, ourselves: a racial reenvisioning of twenty-first-century latinix
- Towards a new raza politics: class awareness and hemispheric vision
- Media, marketing and the invisible soul of latinidad
- The Latinix urban space identity
- Dismantling the master's house: the Latinix imaginary and neoliberal multiculturalism.
"The Latinx revolution in US culture, society, and politics "Latinx" (pronounced "La-teen-ex") is the gender-neutral term that covers the largest racial minority in the United States, 17 percent of the country. This is the fastest-growing sector of American society, containing the most immigrants. It is the poorest ethnic group in the country, whose political empowerment is altering the balance of forces in a growing number of states. And yet, Latins barely figure in America's racial conversation--the US census does not even have a category for "Latino." In this groundbreaking discussion, Ed Morales explains how Latin political identities are tied to a long Latin American history of mestizaje, translatable as "mixedness" or "hybridity", and that this border thinking is both a key to understanding bilingual, bicultural Latin cultures and politics and a challenge to America's infamously black/white racial regime. This searching and long-overdue exploration of a crucial development in American life updates Cornel West's bestselling Race Matters with a Latin inflection"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject headings
Hispanic Americans--Politics and government--21st century.
Hispanic Americans--Social conditions--21st century.
Hispanic Americans--Ethnic identity.
Cultural pluralism--United States.
United States--Ethnic relations.
9781784783198 US electronic book
9781784783211 UK electronic book
- Blmgtn - Herman B Wells Library
- Call Number
- E184.S75 M666 2018
- Checked out Due: 01-30-2021