LGBTQ mental health : international perspectives and experiences
LGBTQ mental health : international perspectives and experiences / edited by Nadine Nakamura and Carmen H. Logie.
Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, 
xii, 182 pages ; 27 cm.
- Other contributors
Nakamura, Nadine, editor.
Logie, Carmen H., editor.
- Uniform series
Perspectives on sexual orientation and gender diversity series.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Nadine Nakamura and Carmen H. Logie
- In search of "my true self": transmasculine gender identity processes, stigma, and mental health in Peru / Amaya Perez-Brumer, Alfonso Silva-Santisteban, Ximena Salazar, Jesse Vilela, and Sari L. Reisner
- Mental health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people in Colombia / Karen Nieves-Lugo, Andrew P. Barnett, Veronica Pinho, Miguel Rueda Sálenz, and Maria Cecilia Zea
- Living a double life and experiencing modern sexual prejudice: the effect on Ecuadorean lesbian, gay, and bisexual workers' well-being / Donatella Di Marco, Alicia Arenas, Helge Hoel, and Lourdes Munduate
- "It's because of our culture": navigating gender norms and coping with sexual stigma among lesbian, bisexual, and queer women in Jamaica / Natania L. Marcus, Carmen H. Logie, Nicolette Jones, Nicolette Bryan, and Kandasi Levermore
- The return of repression: mental health concerns of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people in Russia / Sharon G. Horne and Lindsey White
- LGBT mental health in Mongolia: a brief history, current issues, and future directions / Julie M. Koch, Douglas Knutson, and Anaraa Nyamdorj
- Stigma toward and mental health of hijras/trans women and self-identified men who have sex with men in India / Venkatesan Chakrapani, Peter A. Newman,and Murali Shunmugam
- Being gay and lesbian in Malaysia / Hemla Singaravelu and Wai Hsien Cheah
- Whose paradise? An intersectional perspective on mental health and gender/sexual diversity in Thailand / Timo T. Ojanen, Peter A. Newman, Rattanakorn Ratanashevorn, Jan W. de Lind van Wijngaarden, and Suchon Tepjan
- Mental health needs of transgender women and gay men and other men who have sex with men across sub-saharan Africa / Carolyn Brown, Keletso Makofane, Kevin Rebe, L. Leigh Ann van der Merwe, Bhekie Sithole, Daouda Diouf, Kevin Kapila, Carrie Lyons, Tonia Poteat, Shauna Stahlman, and Stefan Baral
- Conclusion / Nadine Nakamura and Carmen H. Logi
- Author biographies
- About the editors.
"LGBTQ Mental Health: International Perspectives and Experiences expands our understanding of mental health by considering the unique challenges faced by LGBTQ communities in the Majority World. Increased globalization and migration has highlighted the need for mental health clinicians to better understand these communities' experiences and needs. This book provides an overview of LGBTQ mental health in non Western countries or regions that have heretofore received little attention in the psychology literature. Chapters focus on the cultural, social, legal, political, and psychological experiences of various LGBTQ subpopulations in Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, Jamaica, Russia, Mongolia, India, Malaysia, Thailand, and sub Saharan Africa. Contributors summarize existing research on mental health outcomes for LGBTQ individuals in these countries or regions; offer key insights that challenge culturally specific conceptions of normative, LGBTQ mental health and behavior; and offer recommendations for further research and mental health practice with these populations"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject headings
Sexual minorities--Mental health.
- Medical subjects
Sexual and Gender Minorities--psychology.
9781433831638 electronic book