The spark of learning : energizing the college classroom with the science of emotion
Cavanagh, Sarah Rose, author.
The spark of learning : energizing the college classroom with the science of emotion / Sarah Rose Cavanagh.
Morgantown, West Virginia : West Virginia University Press, 2016.
xiv, 241 pages ; 21 cm.
- Uniform series
Teaching and learning in higher education (West Virginia University Press)
Includes bibliographical references (pages 217-231) and index.
IU East copy signed by the author.
- Introduction: Once more, with feeling
- Part I. Foundations of affective science. The science (and neuroscience) of your emotions
- The wellspring: emotions enhance learning
- Part II. Affective science in action. Be the spark: crafting your first (and lasting) impression
- Burning to master: mobilizing student efforts
- Fueling the fire: prolonging student persistence
- Best-laid plans: when emotions challenge or backfire.
Informed by psychology and neuroscience, Cavanagh argues that in order to capture students' attention, harness their working memory, bolster their long-term retention, and enhance their motivation, educators should consider the emotional impact of their teaching style and course design.
- Subject headings
Motivation in education.
9781943665327 (cloth ; alk. paper)
194366532X (cloth ; alk. paper)
9781943665334 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
1943665338 (pbk. ; alk. paper)