Come as you are : the surprising new science that will transform your sex life
Nagoski, Emily, author.
Come as you are : the surprising new science that will transform your sex life / Emily Nagoski, Ph.D.
First Simon & Schuster trade paperback edition.
New York : Simon & Schuster Paperbacks, 2015.
xi, 400 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Includes bibliographical references (pages 367-388) and index.
- Introduction: Yes, you are normal
- Anatomy: No two alike
- The dual control model: Your sexual personality
- Context: And the "one ring" (to rule them all) in your emotional brain
- Emotional context: Sex in a monkey brain
- Cultural context: A sex-positive life in a sex-negative world
- Arousal: Lubrication is not causation
- Desire: Actually, it's not a drive
- Orgasm: The fantastic bonus
- Meta-emotions: The ultimate sex-positive context
- Conclusion: You are the secret ingredient
- Appendix A: Therapeutic masturbation
- Appendix B: Extended orgasm.
Researchers have spent the last decade trying to develop a "pink pill" for women to function like Viagra does for men. So where is it? Well, for reasons this book makes crystal clear, that pill will never exist -- but as a result of the research that's gone into it, scientists in the last few years have learned more about how women's sexuality works than we ever thought possible. The first lesson in this book is that every woman has her own unique sexuality, like a fingerprint, and that women vary more than men in their anatomy, their sexual response mechanisms, and the way their bodies respond to the sexual world. Second lesson: sex happens in a context. And all the complications of everyday life influence the context surrounding a woman's arousal, desire, and orgasm. Research across multiple disciplines tells us that the most important factor for women in creating and sustaining a fulfilling sex life, is not what you do in bed or how you do it, but how you feel about it. Which means that stress, mood, trust, and body image are not peripheral factors in a woman's sexual wellbeing; they are central to it.
- Subject headings
Sex instruction for women.
Women--Health and hygiene.
9781476762104 (trade pbk.)
1476762104 (trade pbk.)