South Korea at the crossroads : autonomy and alliance in an era of rival powers
Snyder, Scott, 1964- author.
South Korea at the crossroads : autonomy and alliance in an era of rival powers / Scott A. Snyder.
New York : Columbia University Press, 
xiv, 355 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
"A Council on Foreign Relations book."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 309-342) and index.
- South Korean strategic choices
- Strategic choices under authoritarian rule
- Roh Tae-Woo and Kim Young-Sam : Nordpolitik and democratization
- Kim Dae-Jung and the sunshine policy
- Roh Moo-Hyun's balancer policy
- Lee Myung-Bak's global Korea policy
- Park Geun-Hye's Asian paradox
- The paradox of South Korea's middle-power status
- Korea between the United States and China
- Unification and Korean strategic choices
- Epilogue : South Korean strategic choices and the U.S.-South Korea alliance
- Select source documents. Mutual Defense Treaty between the United States and the Republic of Korea, 1953
- Joint statement of North and South, 1972
- Inter-Korean agreement on reconciliation, non-aggression, and exchanges and cooperation between South and North Korea, 1991
- South-North joint declaration, 2000
- Declaration on the advancement of South-North Korean relations, peace, and prosperity, 2007
- Joint vision for the alliance of the United States of America and the Republic of Korea, 2009
- Joint declaration in commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the alliance between the Republic of Korea and the United States of America, 2013
- Chronology of important events in South Korean strategic history.
Against the backdrop of China's mounting influence and North Korea's growing nuclear capability, South Korea is a rising middle power and faces a set of strategic choices that will shape its economic prospects and national security. Snyder examines fifty years of South Korean foreign policy and recommends balancing autonomy with a robust alliance with the United States.
- Subject headings
Korea (South)--Foreign relations--1960-1988.
Korea (South)--Foreign relations--1988-2002.
Korea (South)--Foreign relations--2002-
Korea (South)--Foreign relations--Korea (North)
Korea (North)--Foreign relations--Korea (South)
Korea (South)--Foreign relations--United States.
United States--Foreign relations--Korea (South)
Korea (South)--Foreign relations--China.
China--Foreign relations--Korea (South)
9780231185486 hardcover alkaline paper
0231185480 hardcover alkaline paper