Teaching physical education to children with special educational needs and disabilities
Vickerman, Philip, 1968- author.
Teaching physical education to children with special educational needs and disabilities / Philip Vickerman and Anthony Maher.
Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
xiii, 140 pages : illustration ; 25 cm
- Other contributors
Maher, A., author.
"First edition published 2007 by Routledge"--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references (pages -135) and index.
- The context for inclusion
- Children with special educational needs and disabilities
- Movement, learning and ranges of special educational needs and disabilities
- The physical education National Curriculum and inclusion
- Planning for and assessing children with special educational needs and disabilities
- Teaching and learning strategies
- Multi-disciplinary approaches and working in partnership
- Opportunities outside the curriculum
- Hearing the voices of children with special educational needs and disabilities.
"Teaching Physical Education to Children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities provides a thorough overview of the challenges and opportunities for inclusion in PE lessons. Combining a theoretical framework with practical strategies for teachers, the title covers a diverse range of issues which teachers need to address to provide high quality learning experiences for children with SEND. This second edition is grounded in up-to-date research on inclusion and has been fully updated in line with the SEND Code of Practice and Ofsted Inspection Framework. It seeks to demystify the statutory responsibilities placed upon teachers and schools to include children with SEND and offers practical examples of how PE teachers can make use of different strategies to differentiate through their planning and assessment. A new chapter explores the importance of consulting with and empowering children with SEND, and additional focus is given to how teachers can work together with SENCOs and LSAs to develop an inclusive culture in PE lessons."--Book cover.
- Subject headings
Physical education for children with disabilities--Great Britain.
9781351206150 (electronic book)