Cerebral palsy : a complete guide for caregiving
Cerebral palsy : a complete guide for caregiving / Freeman Miller, Steven J. Bachrach ; with Marilyn L. Boos ... [et al.].
Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006.
xiv, 496 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
<Contributor biographical information> http://www.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0625/2005052683-b.html
<Publisher description> http://www.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0625/2005052683-d.html
- Other contributors
Bachrach, Steven J.
A Johns Hopkins Press health book
Includes bibliographical references (p. -475) and index.
- pt. 1. Cerebral palsy handbook
- 1. What is cerebral palsy?
- 2. An overview of early child development
- 3. Medical problems associated with cerebral palsy
- 4. Intellectual, psychological, and social development
- 5. Hemiplegia
- 6. Diplegia
- 7. Quadriplegia
- 8. The adult with cerebral palsy
- 9. How the health care system works
- 10. Financing care for the child with cerebral palsy
- 11. Navigating the educational system
- 12. Being an advocate for your child : using the legal system
- pt. 2. Caregiving techniques
- Taking care of yourself when you care for others
- Protecting the caregivers' back : basic body mechanics
- Making things easier for you and your child : home modifications
- Choosing appropriate seating
- Choosing and using car seats
- About wheelchair maintenance
- Pressure management awareness
- Choosing a stander
- About walkers and gait trainers
- About braces
- Choosing the correct shoes
- Increasing independence with service dogs
- Managing the system
- Working with a case manager
- Letters of medical necessity
- Occupations for adults with cerebral palsy
- About hospitalization
- Keeping medical history records
- Life planning process
- About casts
- Using nutritional boosters
- Managing tube feedings
- Oral hygiene : providing mouth and teeth care
- Toilet training your child
- Giving an enema
- Giving rectal medications or suppositories
- Suctioning techniques
- pt. 3. Cerebral palsy encyclopedia
- From Achilles tendon lengthening to vocational rehabilitation
- Resources : support groups, foundations, and government agencies
- Recommended reading and toys, and where to go to chat with others.
- Subject headings
Cerebral palsied children.
Cerebral palsy--Popular works.
- Medical subjects
0801883547 (hardcover : alk. paper)
0801883555 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Standard Identifier