Club verboten [sound recording] / compilation produced by Marshall Blonstein and Richard Oliver.
Chatsworth, CA : DCC Compact Classics, p1997.
- Physical description
4 sound discs : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Publisher Number
DZS(4)-135 DCC Compact Classics
A28552-A28555 DCC Compact Classics
Vocal works sung in English, French, German, Latin, or Spanish.
- Recording info
Recorded ca. 1925-1992.
DCC Compact Classics: DZS(4)--135 (A28552--A28555).
" ... from the 20's to the 70's ... musical entertainment through music composed or embraced by the gay and lesbian culture"--Container.
Accompanying booklet: concept by Marshall Blonstein ; text by Richard Oliver (96 p. : ill. ; 30 cm.).
- Disc one. Masculine women, feminine men (Merritt Brunies & his Friars Inn Orchestra)
- I ain't gonna play no second fiddle (Bessie Smith)
- Prove it on me blues (Ma Rainey)
- How much can I stand? (Gladys Bentley)
- He's my secret passion (Danny Yates Orchestra)
- Falling in love again (Marlene Dietrich)
- Surabaya Johnny (Lotte Lenya)
- Cabaret medley. Willkommen (Joel Grey)/Don't tell mama (Jill Hayworth)/Cabaret (Liza Minnelli)
- J'ai deux amours (Josephine Baker)
- Non, je ne regrette rien (Edith Piaf)
- Come up and see me sometime (Mae West)
- What's going to happen to the tots (Noel Coward)
- If love were all (Julie Andrews)
- Over the rainbow (Judy Garland)
- Chica chica boom chic (Carmen Miranda)
- He wears a pair of silver wings (Kay Kyser Orchestra)
- Satin doll (Duke Ellington Orchestra)
- Down in the depths (on the 90th floor) (Portia Nelson)
- Love for sale (Annie Ross)
- The lady is a tramp (Lena Horne)
- My funny valentine (Chet Baker).
- Disc two. Cry (Johnnie Ray)
- The man that got away (Judy Garland)
- Secret love (Doris Day)
- I wanna be loved by you (Marilyn Monroe)
- West side story medley. Something's coming (Larry Kert)/Somewhere (film soundtrack)
- Something to live for (Chris Connor)
- Night and day (Frances Faye)
- So many things (Gary Burton)
- I'll try for the sun (Donovan)
- Ballad of the sad young men (Rod McKuen)
- San Francisco (be sure to wear flowers in your hair) (Scott McKenzie)
- This is my life (Shirley Bassey).
- Disc three. Being alive (Dean Jones)
- I am woman (Helen Reddy)
- The woman in your life (Alix Dobkin)
- Ode to a gym teacher (Meg Christian)
- All the time (Barry Manilow)
- At seventeen (Janis Ian)
- Sweet woman (Cris Williamson)
- The alter boy and the thief (Joan Baez)
- Don't rain on my parade (Jim Bailey as Barbra Streisand)
- Not the boy next door (Peter Allen)
- Anything goes (Harper's Bizarre)
- Walk on the wild side (Lou Reed)
- You make me feel (mighty real) (Sylvester)
- Lady Marmalade (Patti & Labelle)
- We are family (Sister Sledge)
- I am what I am (Gloria Gaynor).
- Disc four. Symphony #2 : Little Russian. 4th movement, Finale / Peter Tchaikovsky
- Danse macabre : op. 40 / Camille Saint-Saëns
- Gloria in G major for soprano, chorus & orchestra. Qui sedes ad dexteran [i.e. dexteram] Patris / Francis Poulenc
- Suite from Death in Venice, op. 88. Tadzio [and] I love you ... / Benjamin Britten
- Adagio for strings, op. 11 / Samuel Barber
- Amahl and the night visitors. I walk, Mother/Do you really want to go? / Gian Carlo Menotti
- Rodeo. Buckaroo holiday / Aaron Copland
- Dybbuk. Part I, The community / Leonard Bernstein
- Sixteen dances. #8 Interlude [and] #12 Interlude / John Cage
- Eagles / Ned Rorem.
- Standard Identifier
Motion picture music--Excerpts.
Sex in music.
Homosexuality and music.
Gay artists in popular culture.
- Related name/work