Offerings at the Crossroads
- Gaulke, Cheri
- Offerings at the Crossroads
- Los Angeles, 2005.
- 1 book: paper, wood, fabric; 3 1/2 x 5 x 1/2 in.
- Other contributors
- Mayberry, Sue.
- 40 p. 28 of 100. Signed by artist.
- A pouch made of multi-colored Balinese sarongs contains an artists' book whose design is inspired by traditional palm-leaf books. Indonesian teak covers are held together by a central red cord and batiked wooden beads. It is digitally printed on an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 with archival inks and Epson watercolor paper. Each pouch is unique. Each book is signed and numbered. A true story. One lesbian trying to get pregnant; one gay man dying of AIDS. Life; death. The struggle to make life; the struggle to hold on to life. The ironies compound and cancel each other, until what is left are the dignity of struggle and sanctity of possibility. Offerings at the Crossroads was written and designed by Cheri Gaulke and Sue Maberry, and based on the award-winning videotape, Sea of Time. The book is made possible in part by a grant from the City of Los Angeles, Cultural Affairs Department.
- Kinsey subjects
- Artists' books. Book arts. Book illustration. AIDS. Conception. Friendship. Intimate relations. Family biographies.