Sex Before Sex : Figuring the Act in Early Modern England
Sex Before Sex : Figuring the Act in Early Modern England / James M. Bromley and Will Stockton, editors ; afterword by Valerie Traub.
Minneapolis ; London : University of Minnesota Press, 2013.
vii, 329 pages ; 23 cm
- Other contributors
Bromley, James M., 1978- editor of compilation.
Stockton, Will., editor of compilation.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Figuring early modern sex / Will Stockton and James M. Bromley
- "Invisible sex!": What looks like the act in early modern drama? / Christine Varnado
- Death and theory: Or, the problem of counterfactual sex / Kathryn Schwarz
- Spectacular impotence: Or, things that hardly ever happen in the critical history of pornography / Melissa J. Jones
- "Unmanly passion": Sodomitical self-fashioning in John Ford's The Lover's Melancholy and Perkin Warbeck / Nicholas F. Radel
- The erotics of chin-chucking in seventeenth-century England / Will Fisher
- Rimming the Renaissance / James M. Bromley
- Animal, vegetable, sexual: Metaphor in John Donne's "Sappho to Philaenis" and Andrew Marvell's "The garden" / Stephen Guy-Bray
- Aping rape: Animal ravishment and sexual knowledge in early modern England / Holly Dugan
- The seduction of Milton's lady: Rape, psychoanalysis, and the erotics of consumption in "Comus" / Will Stockton
- "How human life began": Sexual reproduction in Book 8 of Paradise Lost / Thomas H. Luxon
- Afterword / Valerie Traub.
"Sex before Sex makes clear that we cannot simply transfer our contemporary notions of what constitutes a sex act into the past and expect them to be true for those who were then reading literature and watching plays. The contributors confront how our current critical assumptions about definitions of sex restrict our understanding of representations of sexuality in early modern England."--pub. desc.
- Kinsey subjects
Sex in literature--England.
9780816680764 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
0816680760 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
9780816680771 (pb : acid-free paper)
0816680779 (pb : acid-free paper)