Bordered lives : transgender portraits from Mexico
- Arnal, Kike, author, photographer.
- Bordered lives : transgender portraits from Mexico / Kike Arnal.
- New York, NY : The New Press, 
- 183 pages ; 26 cm
- "A richly evocative collection of photographs by internationally renowned photographer Kike Arnal, Bordered Lives seeks to push back against the transphobic caricatures that have perpetuated discrimination against the transgender community in Mexico. Despite some important advances in recognizing and protecting the rights of its transgender community, including legislation against hate crimes targeting transgender people, discrimination still persists, and the majority of the often appallingly violent attacks against the LGBT community are against transgender women. In the highly personal profiles that make up Bordered Lives, including the first transgender couple to be married in Mexico and one of the country's most high-profile transgender entertainers, Arnal looks at seven individuals in and around Mexico City. He shows them going about their day-to-day lives: getting ready in the morning, interacting with family and friends, and devoting their lives to helping others in the transgender community. Moving in its honesty, Bordered Lives challenges society's preconceived notions of sexuality, gender, and beauty not only in Mexico but across the globe. "-- Provided by publisher.
- Kinsey subjects
- Transsexualism. Social conditions--Mexico. Photography.
- 9781620970249 paperback 1620970244 paperback 9781620970553 electronic book