Sexual development in childhood
Sexual development in childhood / edited by John Bancroft.
Bloomington : Indiana University Press, ©2003.
xiv, 484 pages ; 24 cm.
- Other contributors
- Uniform series
Kinsey Institute series ; v. 7.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part 1. The historical context ; Watching the research pendulum / Philip Jenkins
- Part 2. Methodological aspects ; Methodological issues associated with studies of child sexual behavior / Lucia F. O'Sullivan ; Using the parents as a source of information about the child / Heino F.L. Meyer-Bahlburg, Jennifer Lynne Steel ; Discussion paper / Kenneth J. Zucker ; Methodological issues involved in adult recall of childhood sexual experiences / Cynthia A. Graham ; Using Computer-Assisted Self-Interview (CASI) for recall of childhood sexual experiences / Meredith A. Reynolds, Debra L. Herbenick ; The use of meta-analysis in understanding the effects of child sexual abuse / Janet Shibley Hyde ; Discussion paper / Susan F. Newcomer
- Part 3. Some new studies of normal sexual development ; Studies of sexuality of nonabused children / William N. Friedrich ; Body awareness and physical intimacy : an exploratory study / Jany Rademakers, M.J.C. Laan, Cornelis J. Straver ; Discussion paper / Anke A. Ehrhardt ; The nature of childhood sexual experiences / Meredith Reynolds, Debra L. Herbenick, John Bancroft ; Masturbation as a marker of sexual development / John Bancroft, Debra L. Herbenick, Meredith Reynolds ; Discussion paper / John D. Delamater ; Discussion paper / Deborah L. Tolman ; Antecedents of sexual activity at ages 16 and 17 in a community sample followed from age 5 / John E. Bates, Douglas B. Alexander, Sarah E. Oberlander, Kenneth A. Dodge, Gregory S. Pettit
- Part 4. Cross-cultural aspects ; Normative sexual behavior of African American children: preliminary findings / Jeffry W. Thigpen, Elsie M. Pinkston, Jay H. Mayefsky ; Cultural dimensions of childhood sexuality in the United States / Suzanne G. Frayser ; Discussion paper / Gilbert Herdt
- Part 5. Retrospective studies of effects of child sexual abuse on adolescent sexuality ; Sexual contact between children and adults : a life course perspective with special reference to men / Edward O. Laumann, Christopher R. Browning, Arnout van de Rijt, Mariana Gatzeva ; Childhood/adolescent sexual coercion among men who have sex with men : understanding patterns of sexual behavior and sexual risk / Jay P. Paul, Joseph A. Catania, Lance M. Pollack ; Abusive sexual experiences before age 12 and adolescent sexual behaviors / J. Dennis Fortenberry, Matthew A. Aalsma ; Discussion paper / David Finkelhor
- Part 6. Theoretical models for mediating mechanisms ; The social context of adaptation to childhood sexual maltreatment : a life course perspective / Christopher R. Browning, Edward O. Laumann ; Childhood sexuality and adult sexual relationships : how are they connected by data and by theory? / Julia R. Heiman, Johan Verhulst, Amy R. Heard-Davison ; Discussion paper / Carol McCord -; Discussion paper / J. Michael Bailey
- Part 7. Toward a consensus ; Conclusions from research, policy, and advocacy perspectives / Diane Di Mauro ; Conclusions from a theoretical perspective / John Bancroft.
"The wide-ranging essays in Sexual Development in Childhood seek collectively to answer many of the most vital questions in the field of childhood development. What is childhood sexuality, and why should it be studied? How should it be measured, and what research methods are most useful? What are the current empirical results of research, and in what direction do these studies intend to go in the future? The essays offered in answer to these questions propose to help us understand both the normal range of sexual development in children and the consequences of abusive sexual experiences - objectives that should make this volume an essential resource for teachers, advocates, and social policy professionals as well as for researchers and clinicians."--Jacket.
- Subject headings
- Medical subjects
- Genre heading
Conference papers and proceedings.
0253342430 (alk. paper)
9780253342430 (alk. paper)