Hold still : a memoir with photographs
Mann, Sally, 1951- author.
Hold still : a memoir with photographs / Sally Mann.
New York : Little, Brown and Company, 2015.
xiv, 482 pages : illustrations (some color), portraits, fascimiles ; 25 cm
Includes bibliographical references (page 478).
- Prologue: The Meuse
- Part I. Family ties: the importance of place : The sight of my eye
- All the pretty horses
- The bending arc
- The family of Mann
- The remove
- Our farm, and the photographs I took there
- Hold still
- Ubi amor, ibi oculus est
- Part II. My mother: memory of a memory past : A sentimental Welshman
- Uncle Skip and the little dears
- The southern landscape
- Part III. Gee-Gee: the matter of race : The many questions
- The kid on the road
- Who wants to talk about slavery?
- Part IV. My father: against the current of desire : The Munger system
- Leaving Dallas
- Mr. Death and his blue-eyed boy
- World traveler, interesting gent
- The cradle and the grave
- Bearing witness
- The sublime end
- The x above my head
- Postscript: Exhibit A, Exhibit B.
Photographer Sally Mann's preoccupation with family, race, mortality, and the storied landscape of the American South are revealed as almost genetically predetermined, written into her DNA by the family history that precedes her. Sorting through boxes of family papers and yellowed photographs she finds more than she bargained for: "deceit and scandal, alcohol, domestic abuse, car crashes, bogeymen, clandestine affairs, dearly loved and disputed family land ... racial complications, vast sums of money made and lost, the return of the prodigal son, and maybe even bloody murder."
"In this riveting memoir, a unique interplay of narrative and image, Mann's abiding concerns - family, race, mortality, and the storied landsape of the American South - are revealed as almost genetically predetermined, written into her DNA by a colorful cast of characters who came before her."--Front dust jacket flap.
- Subject headings
Mann, Sally, 1951-
Mann, Sally, 1951---Family.
Mann, Sally, 1951---Biography.
Women photographers--United States--Biography.
- Standard Identifier