Bad girls : young women, sex, and rebellion before the sixties
Littauer, Amanda H., author.
Bad girls : young women, sex, and rebellion before the sixties / Amanda H. Littauer.
Chapel Hill [North Carolina] : The University of North Carolina Press, 
xiii, 259 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Uniform series
Gender & American culture.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Signed by author.
- Introduction: what are we waiting for?
- Victory girls : sex, mobility, and adventure on the home front
- B-girls : soliciting drinks and negotiating sex in mid-century bars
- Tearing off the veil : women and girls respond to the Kinsey report
- Going steady : permissiveness, petting, and premarital sex in the 1950s
- Someone to love : teen girls, queer desire, and contested meanings of immaturity in the 1950s
- Conclusion: feminist sexual futures.
"In this innovative and revealing study of midcentury American sex and culture, Amanda Littauer traces the origins of the "sexual revolution" of the 1960s. She argues that sexual liberation was much more than a reaction to 1950s repression because it largely involved the mainstreaming of a counterculture already on the rise among girls and young women decades earlier. From World War II-era "victory girls" to teen lesbians in the 1940s and 1950s, these nonconforming women and girls navigated and resisted intense social and interpersonal pressures to fit existing mores, using the upheavals of the era to pursue new sexual freedoms. Building on a new generation of research on postwar society, Littauer tells the history of diverse young women who stood at the center of major cultural change and helped transform a society bound by conservative sexual morality into one more open to individualism, plurality, and pleasure in modern sexual life"--Publisher description.
- Subject headings
Sex customs--United States--History--20th century.
Women--Sexual behavior--United States--History--20th century.
- Kinsey subjects
Status of women.
9781469623788 paperback alkaline paper
1469623781 paperback alkaline paper
9781469623795 electronic book