Slumming : sexual and social politics in Victorian London
Koven, Seth, 1958-
Slumming : sexual and social politics in Victorian London / Seth Koven.
Princeton : Princeton University Press, c2004.
xvii, 399 p. : ill., map ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -377) and index.
- I: Incognitos, fictions, and cross-class masquerades
- Workhouse nights: homelessness, homosexuality, and cross-class masquerades
- Dr. Barnardo's artistic fictions: photography, sexuality, and the ragged child
- The American girl in London: gender, journalism, and social investigation in the late victorian metropolis
- II: Cross-class sisterhood and brotherhood in the slums
- The politics and erotics of dirt: cross-class sisterhood in the slums
- The "new man" in the slums: religion, masculinity, and the men's settlement house movement.
- Kinsey subjects
Status of women--Great Britain--19th century.
Social conditions--Great Britain--19th century.
0691115923 (cl. : alk. paper)