Slumming : sexual and social politics in Victorian London
Koven, Seth, 1958-
Slumming : sexual and social politics in Victorian London / Seth Koven.
Princeton, N.J. ; Oxford : Princeton University Press, 2006.
399p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Originally published: 2004.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -377) and index.
- ch. 1. Workhouse nights : homelessness, homosexuality, and cross-class masquerades
- ch. 2. Dr. Barnardo's artistic fictions : photography, sexuality, and the ragged child
- ch. 3. The American girl in London : gender, journalism, and social investigation in the late Victorian metropolis
- ch. 4. The politics and erotics of dirt : cross-class sisterhood in the slums
- ch. 5. The "new man" in the slums : religion, masculinity, and the men's settlement house movement.
- Kinsey subjects
Status of women--Great Britain--19th century.
Social conditions--Great Britain--19th century.