The nature of sexual desire
Giles, James, 1958-
The nature of sexual desire / James Giles.
Westport, Conn. : Praeger, 2003.
x, 218 p. ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -201) and index.
- The problem of sexual desire
- An unsettling state of affairs
- The nature of desire
- The sexual process
- The idea of a sexual process
- Ellis and the mechanism of Detumescence
- Freud and the pleasures of excitation
- Reich's orgasticall satisfying sex act
- Masters and Johnson's sexual response cycle
- The place of sexual desire in the sexual process
- The phenomenology of the sexual process
- The object of sexual desire
- Sexual desire and reproduction
- Erotic pleasure
- Sexual activity
- From baring and caressing to vulnerability and care
- The atypical sexual variations
- The Experience of gender
- The primacy of gender
- Gender and the genitals
- The place of gender in sexual orientation
- The twoness of gender in sexual desire
- The structure of being in love
- Being in love
- Love as the desire for vulnerability and care
- The non-exclusiveness of love
- Ways of being in love
- Love's relation to sexual desire
- Epilogue : sexual desire as an existential need.
- Kinsey subjects
Gender role identification.
0275959953 (alk. paper)
9780275959951 (alk. paper)