Situated lives : gender and culture in everyday life
Situated lives : gender and culture in everyday life / edited by Louise Lamphere, Helena Ragoné, and Patricia Zavella.
New York : Routledge, 1997.
493 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
<Publisher description> http://www.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0651/96051900-d.html
- Other contributors
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- How native is a "native" anthropologist? / Kirin Narayan
- Feminist insider dilemmas : constructing ethnic identity with "Chicana" informants / Patricia Zavella
- Carne, carnales, and the carnivalesque : Bakhtinian batos, disorder, and narrative discourses / José E. Limón
- The egg and the sperm : how science has constructed a romance based on stereotypical male-female roles / Emily Martin
- Making sense of missed conceptions : anthropological perspectives on unexplained infertility / Sarah Franklin
- Chasing the blood tie : surrogate mothers, adoptive mothers, and fathers / Helena Ragoné
- Constructing amniocentesis : maternal and medical discourses / Rayna Rapp
- The "word-made" flesh : the disembodiment of gender in the abortion debate / Faye Ginsburg
- Agency and constraint : sterilization and reproductive freedom among Puerto Rican women in New York City / Iris Lopez
- Reinventing the South / Brett Williams
- "This permanent roommate" / Ellen Lewin
- "In the beginning he wouldn't lift even a spoon" : the division of household labor / Beatríz M. Pesquera
- The meanings of macho : changing Mexican male identities / Matthew C. Gutmann
- Holding hands / Carol Stack
- Invisibility, consciousness of the other, ressentiment / Judith Rollins
- A maid by any other name : the transformation of "dirty work" by Central American immigrants / Leslie Salzinger
- Chicanas in white-collar jobs : "you have to prove yourself more" / Denise A. Segura
- Knock 'em dead : work on the killfloor of a modern beefpacking plant / Donald D. Stull
- Women's resistance in the sunbelt : Anglos and Hispanas respond to managerial control / Louise Lamphere and Patricia Zavella
- Spirits of resistance / Aihwa Ong
- Making empire respectable : the politics of race and sexual morality in twentieth-century colonial cultures / Ann L. Stoler
- The empire's old clothes : fashioning the colonial subject / Jean Comaroff
- Mudwomen and whitemen : a meditation on Pueblo potteries and the politics of representation / Barbara A. Babcock
- Warriors or soldiers? : masculinity and ritual transvestism in the Liberian civil war / Mary H. Moran
- The gendered politics and violence of structural adjustment : a view from Jamaica / Feye V. Harrison
- The mirror of exploitation / Devon G. Peã
- Kinsey subjects
Gender role identification.
Social conditions--United States.
Status of women history.
- Subject headings
United States--Social conditions--1980-