The philosophy of sex and love : an introduction
The philosophy of sex and love : an introduction / Alan Soble.
St. Paul, MN : Paragon House, 2008.
xx, 327 p. ; 23 cm.
- Uniform series
Paragon issues in philosophy.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 265-305) and index.
- The background
- Projects; the significance of sex and love; secret pictures; sexual pluralism
- A history of the philosophy of sex and love
- The ancients; medieval philosophy; modern philosophy; the twentieth century; contemporary philosophy
- Sexual concepts
- Analytic questions; sexual activity; sexual desire; social constructionism; polysemicity (polysemy); sexual sensations
- Sexual perversion
- St. Thomas Aquinas; problems with natural law; psychological perversion; psychiatry and perversion; a conceptual framework
- Sexual ethics
- Contraception; beyond natural law; Immanuel Kant; contemporary Kantian philosophy; utilitarianism; sadomasochism; love
- Sexual politics
- Consent, again; pedophilia; prostitution and marriage; marital rape; compulsory heterosexuality; pornography
- Varieties of love
- What is love?; love and value; eros and agape; evaluating and assessing love; the fine gold thread; concern and benevolence; union
- Features of love
- Tangles in theories of love; exclusivity; uniqueness; irreplaceability; constancy; reciprocity
- Sex, love, and marriage
- Pauline marriage; the links; sex and love; the death of desire; saving marriage; reasons for monogamy; reasons for marriage
- Women and men; gender and sex surveys; heterosexual failure; gendered sexuality; gendered love.
"This introductory textbook is an overview of the nature and the ethics of the many aspects of sex and love"--Provided by publisher.
- Kinsey subjects
9781557788757 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1557788758 (pbk. : alk. paper)