Drunk with the glitter : space, consumption and sexual instability in modern urban culture
Drunk with the glitter : space, consumption and sexual instability in modern urban culture / Gillian Swanson.
London ; New York : Routledge, 2007.
xi, 211 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
<Table of contents only> http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip0718/2007017385.html
Includes bibliographical references (p. -204) and index.
- Introduction : urban modernity and sexual instability : space, movement and dispersal
- 'So much money and so little to spend it on' : sexual excitations and familial devotions
- 'The gratification of the moment ... the limit of their mental horizon' : eugenics, psychology and the 'problem girl'
- 'Shattered into a multiplicity of warring functions' : synthetic culture, disintegration and 'distractibility'
- 'A harlot hires a car' : prostitution, dispersal and displacement in the Wolfenden report
- Homosexuality, seduction and psychosis : 'flying and drowning' with 'Lawrence of Arabia'
- 'Good-time girls' and a 'thoroughly filthy fellow' : sexual pathology and national character in the Profumo Affair.
- Kinsey subjects
Social conditions--Great Britain.
Sex ethics--Great Britain.
Sex and society--Great Britain.
Gender role identification.
9780415061308 (hardback : alk. paper)
041506130X (hardback : alk. paper)
9780415061315 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0415061318 (pbk. : alk. paper)