Islamicate sexualities : translations across temporal geographies of desire
Islamicate sexualities : translations across temporal geographies of desire / edited by Kathryn Babayan and Afsaneh Najmabadi ; with contributions by Dina Al-Kassim ... [et al.].
Cambridge, Mass. : Center for Middle Eastern Studies of Harvard University : Distributed by Harvard University Press, c2008.
xiv, 376 p. ; 21 cm.
- Other contributors
Babayan, Kathryn, 1960-
Najmabadi, Afsaneh, 1946-
Harvard University. Center for Middle Eastern Studies.
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
- Uniform series
Harvard Middle Eastern monographs ; 39.
"This anthology emerges from a seminar sponsored by the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study in May 2003"--Pref.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 341-363) and index.
- The past is a foreign country? : the times and spaces of islamicate sexuality studies / Valerie Traub
- A handsome boy among those barbarous Turks : Cervantes's Muslims and the art and science of desire / Leyla Rouhi
- Cross-dressing and female same-sex marriage in medieval French and Arabic literatures / Sahar Amer
- Comparison, competition, and cross-dressing : cross-cultural analysis in a contested world / Brad Epps
- The obscenity of the vizier / Frédéric Lagrange
- Homoerotic liaisons among the Mamluk elite in late medieval Egypt and Syria / Everett K. Rowson
- "In spirit we ate each other's sorrow" : female companionship in seventeenth-century Safavi Iran / Kathryn Babayan
- Types, acts, or what? : regulation of sexuality in nineteenth-century Iran / Afsaneh Najmabadi
- Epilogue : Sexual epistemologies, East and West / Dina A-Kassim.
- Subject headings
Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de, 1547-1616. Don Quixote--Criticism, Textual.
- Kinsey subjects
Sex behavior history--Middle East.
Sex and society--Middle East.
Sex attitudes--Middle East.
Homosexuality in literature.
Sex in literature.