The tigress in the snow : motherhood and literature in twentieth-century Italy
The tigress in the snow : motherhood and literature in twentieth-century Italy / Laura Benedetti.
Toronto : University of Toronto Press, c2007.
viii, 165 p. ; 24 cm.
- Uniform series
Toronto Italian studies.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Includes some text in Italian.
- 1. Mothers at the dawn of the twentieth century
- new mother
- From mother to daughter : Annie Vivanti's The devourers
- mother as artist : Luigi Pirandello's Suo marito
- revolution named Sibilla
- Self-sacrifice and Marian imagery
- invisible working woman
- 2. Resilience and resistance : the fascist years
- From benevolence to dominance
- Literature and the escape from history
- Mothers without a name and the search for women's identity
- Mothers at war
- 'Like war is to men'
- Future as a revised version of the past
- No turning back
- 3. Questioning motherhood
- Slow changes
- tigress in the snow
- 'Una maternita sociale' : the upheaval of the 1970s
- Too close, too far : motherhood as a dialogue with the self
- 4. Struggling with the mother
- Through the daughters' voices
- mother and the city
- Daughter and mother
- 5. Mothers without children
- From flesh to phantom
- symbolic order of the mother
- world of mothers.
- Kinsey subjects
Women in literature--Italy.