The history of sexuality in Europe : a sourcebook and reader
The history of sexuality in Europe : a sourcebook and reader / edited by Anna Clark.
London ; New York : Routledge, 2011.
xi, 358 p. ; 26 cm.
- Other contributors
- Uniform series
Routledge readers in history.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: the magnetic poetry kit of sex / Anna Clark
- Part 1: Did the ancient Greeks accept love, desire, and relationships between men?
- Sex and sensualitiy in the ancient world (2008) / Giulia Sissa
- Against Timarchus (346 BCE, 1919 edition) / Aeschines
- Part 2: Was Jesus a queer eunuch?
- Putting Jesus in his place: a radical vision of household and kingdom (2003) / Halvor Moxnes
- Jesus on sexuality
- Part 3: Did the medieval and early modern Islamic world accept men who had sex with male youths?
- Before homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic world, 1500-1800 (2005) / Khaled El-Rouayheb
- A book containing the Risāla know as the dove's neck-ring about love and lovers (1022, 1931 edition) / Abū Muhammad 'Alī ibn Hazm al-Andalisī
- Part 4: Are sexual morality and sexual prohibitions universal, or should they cary by culture?
- An ethics of cultural exchange: Diderot's Supplément au Voyage de Bougainville (2001) / Claudia Moscovici
- Supplement to Bougainville's Voyage (1796, 1993 edition) / Denis Diderot
- Part 5: Were Victorians sexually repressed?
- The long sexual revolution: English women, sex, and contraception, 1800-1975 (2004) / Hera Cook
- Aristotle's compleat masterpiece: displaying the secrets of nature in the generation of man (1755)
- Handbook of Dr. Kahn's museum (1863)
- Part 6: Did female marriages undermine conventional marriage in the Victorian era?
- Between women: friendship, desire, and marriage in Victorian England (2007) / Sharon Marcus
- I know my own heart (1988 edition) / Anne Lister
- Part 7: How were definitions of prositution influenced by race, and were experts able to control prostitution?
- Prostitution, race and politics: venereal disease and the British empire (2003) / Philippa Levine
- En enquiry into the causes of the great sanitary failure of the state regulation of social vice (1897) / Joseph Edmondson.
- Part 8: Did sexologists impose definitions of homosexuality on men and women whoe desire those of the same sex?
- Stepchildren of nature: Krafft-Ebing, physciatry, and the making of sexual identity (2000) / Harry Oosterhuis
- Psychopathia sexualis (1886, 1926 edition) / Richard Krafft-Ebing
- Part 9: The problem of heterosexuality. Could men and women find happiness together?
- 'A dark, impenetrable wall of complete incomprehension': the impossibility of heterosexual love in imperial Germany (2007) / Edward Ross Dickinson
- The sexual crisis: a critique of our sex life (1917) / Grete Meisel-Hess
- Part 10: Was banning clitoridectomy humanitarian or imperialist?
- Jomo Kenyatta, Marie Bonaparte and Bronislaw Malinowski on clitoridectomy and female sexuality (2008) / Bodil Folke Frederiksen
- Facing Mount Kenya (1953, 1978 edition) / Jomo Kenyatta
- Speeches by the Duchess of Atholl and Eleanor Rathbone (1929)
- Part 11: Was abortion reform motivated by eugenics, leftwing politics, or Nazi power?
- Cultures of abortion in Weimar Germany (2007) / Cornelie Usborne
- Abortion and sterilization in Denmark (1930) / Dr. J. Leunbach
- Part 12: Did 1960s feminist hate sex?
- The redstocking movement: sex, love, and politics in 1968 (2004) / Lynn Walter
- I Accuse! (1969) / Mette Ejlersen
- Part 13: Should prostitution be legalized or punished?
- Through the prism of prostitution: conceptions of women and sexuality in Sweden at two fins-de-sièle (2005) / Yvonne Svanström
- Temporarily yours: intimacy, authenticity, and the commerce of sex (2007) / Elizabeth Bernstein.
- Kinsey subjects
Sex and society--Europe.