Sex and salvation : imagining the future in Madagascar
Cole, Jennifer, 1966-
Sex and salvation : imagining the future in Madagascar / Jennifer Cole.
Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2010.
xvi, 229 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Imagining the future: theorizing generational and historical change
- Making modern life in Tamatave: shifting paths to social mobility
- Disembedding and the humiliation of poverty
- The changing social economy of the female life course
- Jeunes: the future in the present
- Finding Vazaha? Navigating the sexual economy
- Other futures: women, suffering, and pentecostalism
- How the future comes into the present.
As much of the intense political and social changes in Madagascar revolve around urban youth, who view themselves as avatars of modernity, this book argues that traditional social science offers inadequate theorizations of generational change and its contribution to broader cultural historical processes.
- Kinsey subjects
Young adult behavior--Madagascar.
9780226113302 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780226113319 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0226113302 (cloth : alk. paper)
0226113310 (pbk. : alk. paper)