The erotic engine
The erotic engine / Patchen Barss.
[Toronto] : Doubleday Canada, c2010.
310 p. ; 24 cm.
- Variant title
Subtitle on jacket : How pornography has powered mass communication, from Gutenberg to Google
Includes bibliographical references (p. -295) and index.
- Part one: drawing, painting, carving, writing
- The oldest impression
- the "Hottentot Venus" and the history of civilization
- The Virgin and the naughty monkey
- Fleshing the press
- Part two: mechanical reproduction
- Exposure time
- Stag nation
- The format war
- "U" tube
- Erotica online
- Virtual world FAQ
- The games people play
- Part three: the modern pornography industry
- The commercialization of in the internet
- Pornography outstrips the mainstream
- The strange future of mass communication
- Words get in the way
- Out of the MUD
- Emergent sex and non-emergent technology
- The law of unintended consequences
- Down but not out
- A touchy subject.
- Kinsey subjects
Popular culture studies.