One big happy family : 18 writers talk about open adoption, mixed marriage, polyamory, househusbandry, single motherhood, and other realities of truly modern love
One big happy family : 18 writers talk about open adoption, mixed marriage, polyamory, househusbandry, single motherhood, and other realities of truly modern love / edited with and introduction by Rebecca Walker.
1st Riverhead trade pbk. ed.
New York : Riverhead Books, 2010.
263 p. ; 22 cm.
- Other contributors
Walker, Rebecca, 1969 November 17-
- And then we were poly / Jenny Block
- Woman up / Asha Bandele
- The enemy within / Dan Savage
- Foreign relations / Suzanne Kamata
- Counting on cousins / Any Anderson
- The look / ZZ Packer
- Like family / Min Jin Lee
- Daddy donoring / Antonio Caya
- Two red lines / Susan McKinney de Ortega
- My first husband / Liza Monroy
- Home alone together / Neal Pollack
- Love, money, and the unmarried couple / Judith Levine
- Unassisted / Sasha Hom
- Sharing Madison / Dawn Friedman
- Half the work, all the fun / Marc and Amy Vachon
- How homeschooling made our family more of what we wanted it to be / Paula Penn-Nabrit
- Till life do us part / Meredith Maran
- This old house / Rebecca Barry.
"Edited by bestselling author Rebecca Walker, this anthology invites us to step into the center of a range of different domestic arrangements and take a good look around. From gay adoption to absentee fathers, from open marriages to green-card marriages, the reality of the American household has altered dramatically over the last three decades. With changing values and expectations, fluid gender roles, and a shifting economy, along with increase in infertility, adoption, and the incidence of mixed-race couples, people across the country are redefining the standard arrangement of family life. In a collection of eighteen honest, personal, and deeply affecting essays from an array of writers, One Big Happy Family offers a fresh look at how contemporary families are adapting to this altering reality." ... from Publisher's Description.
- Kinsey subjects
Marriage and family--United States.