Fan CULTure : essays on participatory fandom in the 21st century
Fan CULTure : essays on participatory fandom in the 21st century / edited by Kristin M. Barton and Jonathan Malcolm Lampley ; foreword by Stephen J. Sansweet.
Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 
viii, 203 pages ; 23 cm
- Other contributors
Barton, Kristin Michael, 1977- editor of compilation.
Lampley, Jonathan Malcolm, 1967- editor of compilation.
Sansweet, Stephen J., 1945- author of foreword.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Fan productions. Can't stop the sequel: how the serenity-inspired Browncoats: redemption is changing the future of fan films / Kristin M. Barton
- Dark shadows fandom, then and now (1966-2013) / Jeff Thompson
- Spellbound: an analysis of adult-oriented Harry Potter fanfiction / Don Tresca
- Recut film trailers, nostalgia and the teen film / Kathleen Williams
- Social media. Bringing piety back: Tim Tebow, sports and American culture / Susan Orenstein
- Fan-made time: The lord of the rings and The hobbit / Owain Gwynne
- The fandom is out there: social media and the X-files online / Bethan Jones
- Alternate reality games, narrative disbursement, and canon: The lost experience / Kent Aardse
- Fan-influenced content. Block party: a look at adult fans of Lego / Jennifer C. Garlen
- A new kind of pandering: supernatural and the world of fanfiction / Anissa M. Graham
- Desiring the tangible: Disneyland, fandom and spatial immersion / Meyrav Koren-Kuik
- Chuck versus the advertiser: how fan activism and footlong Subway sandwiches saved a television series / Kristin M. Barton
- "Guys, where are we?" podcasts, online video, and Lost's participatory culture / Michael Graves
- Afterword: the past and future of fandom studies / Jonathan Malcolm Lampley.
"Fan CULTure explores how present-day fans interact with the films, television shows, books, and pop culture artifacts they love. From creating original works of fanfiction to influencing the content of major primetime series through social media, fans are no longer passive consumers. They have evolved into active participants in creating and shaping these works"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject headings
Mass media--Social aspects.
9780786474189 (softcover : alk. paper)
0786474181 (softcover : alk. paper)