The complete gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt
Wilkinson, Richard H., author.
The complete gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt / Richard H. Wilkinson.
First paperback edition.
London : Thames & Hudson, 2017.
256 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 26 cm
Reprint. Originally published: New York : Thames & Hudson, 2003.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 244-248) and index.
- Introduction: Egyptian religion and the gods
- I. Rise and fall of the gods. Birth of the gods
- Rule of the gods
- Decline of the gods
- II. Nature of the gods. Forms of the divine
- Manifestations of the gods
- Egypt and monotheism
- III. Worship of the gods. Care of the gods
- Popular religion and piety
- Relationships with the divine
- IV. Kingship and the gods. Between gods and men
- Deceased and divine
- Kingship among the gods
- V. The catalogue of deities. Many faces of the divine
- Groups of deities
- Male anthropomorphic deities
- Female anthropomorphic deities
- Mammalian deities
- Avian deities
- Reptile, amphibian and fish deities
- Invertebrate and insect deities
- Inanimate object deities
- Epilogue: A lasting legacy.
"Comprehensive catalogue of the Egyptian deities, including Osiris, Amun, Hathor and Isis as well as minor figues such as Babi and Ba-Pef; surveys the evolution of the gods, their importance in Egyptian society and religion, their differing manifestations, iconography and cult centers, and their eventual decline; color photographs and drawings depict tomb paintings, temple reliefs, statues, and much more"--Cover.
- Subject headings
- Blmgtn - Herman B Wells Library
- Call Number
- BL2450.G6 W56 2017
- Checked out Due: 03-05-2020