Exotic : a fetish for the foreign
Sund, Judy, author.
Exotic : a fetish for the foreign / Judy Sund.
London : Phaidon Press Limited, 2019.
271 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 26 cm
Includes bibliographical references (pages 259-261) and index.
- 1. Earliest exotics
- 2. Exotic easts, from Rome to romanesque
- 3. Self-styled exotic : constructing Venice
- 4. From three to four : the invention of America
- 5. Elusive emporia : the Indies' siren call
- 6. Fantastic fripperies : Chinoiserie's heyday
- 7. Turbaned terror : Turks on the move
- 8. Retreat to the Seraglio : putting the Turk in his place
- 9. Savages, noble & otherwise
- 10. Savages, novel & nubile
- 11. Antiquity as novelty : Egyptomania
- 12. Exotics everywhere : 19th & 20th century proliferation
- Further reading
Exotic explores our obsession with the lure of distant lands and their promise of the weird and wonderful, the beautiful and grotesque. Through a host of evocative images, this book shows how the absorption of 'the foreign,' through arts, design, architecture, and other cultural elements, has consistently enriched Western society, contributing to it cultural dynamism and artistic energy. Exotic's focus is especially relevant to the modern globalised world in which our engagement with cultures and traditions from around the globe is easier--and potentially more fraught--than ever before.
- Subject headings
Art and society--Western countries--Foreign influences.
Exoticism in art.
- Blmgtn - Herman B Wells Library
- Call Number
- N72.S6 S86 2019
- Checked out Due: 09-19-2020