The schoolroom : a social history of teaching and learning
Gyure, Dale Allen, author.
The schoolroom : a social history of teaching and learning / Dale Allen Gyure.
Santa Barbara, California : Greenwood, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 
xix, 215 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Uniform series
History of human spaces.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. The schoolroom. Colonial beginnings
- The 19th century: Monitorial schools
- Common schools
- Graded schools
- Pedagogy, mental discipline, and moral education
- Heating and ventilation
- 20th century reforms: Child saving
- Discipline and order
- Educational reforms
- Modern schoolrooms: The healthy classroom
- The active classroom
- Postwar variations: The open classroom
- The odd-shaped classroom
- The windowless classroom
- The technological classroom
- 2. Schoolhouses. Early school buildings
- 19th century developments: The Quincy School
- Boston Latin and English high school
- High schools
- The image of a schoolhouse
- The monumental era
- Minority schools
- Depression and World War II: Interwar modernism
- Postwar experimentation: Opening the school
- The casual school
- Curricular changes
- Suburban schools
- Urban schools
- The 1970s and beyond: The 1970s
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- The 1980s and 1990s
- Back to the future
- A new century: Showcase schools
- Sustainability and security
- 3. Objects of education. Blackboards
- Desks and tables
- Overhead projectors
- Teaching machines
- 4. Ancillary spaces. Corridors
- Outdoor corridors
- Relocatable (portable) schoolrooms.
"This book examines schoolrooms and their material contents to reveal insights into the evolution of education and the translation of educational theories and cultural ideals into practice. Provides an unprecedented history of the classrooms that so many of us occupy during our most formative years. Brings readers closer to the design of school buildings. Explains how spaces and objects influence teaching and learning and reflect educational ideologies."
- Subject headings
Education--Social aspects--United States--History.
Schools--United States--Furniture, equipment, etc.--History.
- Genre heading
9781440850387 electronic book