Impact of China's rise on the Mekong Region
Impact of China's rise on the Mekong Region / edited by Yos Santasombat.
New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 
x, 261 pages ; 24 cm
- Other contributors
Yot Santasombat, editor.
Container of (work): Song, Xingzhou. China's geo-economic strategy towards the riparian states of the Mekong Region.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Yos Santasombat
- Chapter 1. China's geoeconomic strategy towards the riparian states of the Mekong Region / Hsing-Chou Sung
- Chapter 2. China's "comrade money" and its social-political dimensions in Vietnam / Nguyen Van Chinh
- Chapter 3. Changing landscape and changing ethnoscape in Lao PDR : on PRC's participation in the Greater Mekong Subregion Development Project / Bien Chiang and Jean Chih-ying Cheng
- Chapter 4. Commodifying sovereignty : special economic zones and the neoliberalization of the Lao frontier / Pinkaew Laungaramsri
- Chapter 5. Xinyimin, new Chinese migrants and the influence of the PRC and Taiwan on the northern Thai border / Aranya Siriphon
- Chapter 6. China-Myanmar : towards more balanced and better neighborhood / Khine Tun
- Chapter 7. Patterns and impacts of Chinese assistance in Cambodia / Touch Siphat
- Chapter 8. The internationalization of renminbi : the encroaching of the variegated dragon / Romyen Kosaikanont.
"Presents a contemporary analysis of the impact of China's rise on the Mekong Region at a critical period of Southeast Asian history. As the most populated country and the second largest economy in the world, China has become an increasingly influential player in global and regional affairs. Economic ties between China and her southern neighbors are particularly strong. Yet relations between China and the Mekong region are complex and embedded in other socio-cultural and political issues. China's accelerated growth, increasing economic footprint, global search for energy, natural resources, and food security, and the rapid pace of its military modernization have created a wide range of new challenges for smaller countries in Southeast Asia. These new challenges both encourage and limit cooperation between China and the emerging ASEAN Economic Community (AEC). This book pays close attention to some of these challenges with particular focus on the impact of Chinese investment, trade, foreign aid, and migration"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject headings
Economic assistance, Chinese--Mekong River Region.
Technical assistance, Chinese--Mekong River Region.
China--Foreign economic relations--Mekong River Region.
Mekong River Region--Foreign economic relations--China.